The Desire to Create and to Love feel the same to me.

General Discussion
Ashwara

The Desire to Create and to Love feel the same to me.

Post by Ashwara » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:31 pm

Today I read flight volume 4, and I proceded to go and look at more comics and creations, and to work on some of my own. But as I look at all these amazing things which people have created a feel a yearning to do the same, although it feels somewhat out of reach. At least for now.

So I think to myself, "What is this feeling? it feels familiar, yet uncommon." Then I remember, "Ah! This is the same feeling I get when I think I've fallen in love with someone!" Although I have never actually taken the initiative to act on that feeling [ha ha], it's something I've felt.
It's also a similar to a feeling of nostalgia, or when you miss a friend or family member that you very much care for. Or when I just dream about the possibility of love in the future. Maybe someone who has actually had relationships could attest to this.

So maybe to create is to love, eh? At least in some way. I don't think a work of art can be truly great unless you out some real passion and love into it, so it's no wonder that these emotions are so similar, or are even the same.

Anyways, that's just something I was thinking of, ha ha.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:30 pm

Interesting idea. I don't think I can discount it. So do you think this "love" is directed at the characters in the story? The story itself? The readers? You could maybe make a case for any of those. Though unlike a person, a character or a story will always be a part of you and can't be present or absent. And readers are such an anonymous group.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:53 pm

"Love" sounds about right to me.

I picked up Flight 1 at random from the store one day. At the time, I was in a terrible funk, angry at people, at my job, just everything. But reading the stories in Flight was suddenly able to make me forget everything for a few moments. It was the kind of satisfaction I'd get from eating a cold piece of watermelon after staying out in the hot sun for hours.

For me it's love for creation itself. Just that these lesser known artists and cartoonist who I'd never heard of before could create stories and comics that could make me smile during a time when I was losing hope in everything.
Remember to breathe.....

Og

Post by Og » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:05 am

Oh yes. Love of Creation itself. That's what it does to me.
ImageImage