Flight 4 is out today!!!

General Discussion
Clio

Post by Clio » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:47 pm

gau dog wrote:Yeah, I think that helps. They're actors on a movie set, right? Even though I know that now after I've read it through, on my first reading I was kind of confused because there was no setup of them being actors talking about roles in the beginning. So I was never quite sure about what they were talking about or referring to. Actually, in the beginning I kind of felt like I was lead to believe I was reading about some sort of underage relationship. But when I find out, I'm wondering why you wrote it that way. If it was for a surprising reveal, it was skillfully done. I just can't decide if it helps or harms the story.
Well, several versions of the Red Riding Hood story refer to that sort of unsettling relationship; it's exploring that situation before you realize what story it belongs to. Heh... a little transparent on my part, actually... That they end up repeating their roles for every bedtime story (I like to think of that like how Fables does it) hammers home that relationship you see/hear/are warned? so much of, repeated for generations and generations.
- Clio

RocketLegend

Post by RocketLegend » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:07 pm

for the record i thought it was incredibly well done.

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:43 pm

Clio wrote:Well, several versions of the Red Riding Hood story refer to that sort of unsettling relationship; it's exploring that situation before you realize what story it belongs to. Heh... a little transparent on my part, actually... That they end up repeating their roles for every bedtime story (I like to think of that like how Fables does it) hammers home that relationship you see/hear/are warned? so much of, repeated for generations and generations.
Ah. That does make more sense now. I read it about 5 times and I was still confused. So basically, it's about reoccurring themes in fables? I thought you were making a statement about child predators. That's what i found so unsettling about your story. As a parent, I worry about these things.

Ashwara

Post by Ashwara » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Is it just me, or does Phil Craven's style look completely different in each volume? Ha ha. Well maybe not completely different. But I really liked his story in this one. I guess I have a soft spot for travelers, ha ha. And bunnies.

Anyways, some of the stories kind of confused me. As in, I thought I knew where they were going, and then I liked where they were going, but then the ending just left me thinking , "What?" Hurhur. Specifically, "The Story of Binny." 'Cause the thing abandoned the girl at the end! What's up with that, man? But I guess left on an island they would meet up somehow. Ha ha. Who knows!

RocketLegend

Post by RocketLegend » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:01 am

i think there was something of a moral to that story.

Ashwara

Post by Ashwara » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:44 pm

Indeed. But I only read it once, which is a fault on my part. Ha ha. *shakes head at self*
I still think it was well done, it just didn't make me feel good based on what I got out of it moral wise on the first run through. Ha ha. So that's more of a personal thing. The moral I got was, "Don't help people out, because they'll just abandon you anyways."

neil

Post by neil » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:10 pm

Ashwara wrote:The moral I got was, "Don't help people out, because they'll just abandon you anyways."
To me, the girl's tragic mistake is to think that she can cure her isolation and boredom by following someone else--I think the message is that you need to have your own passions in life. It's interesting if you compare several of the stories in the book with this theme in mind; many of them are about the meaning of a life pursuit (like off the top of my head, Joey's "From Here to There," and Kazu's "Windowmakers"). Lark's story is challenging because it offers no redemption for the characters, but it's one of my favorites.

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:59 pm

I think Lark's story is one of the more thought provoking stories in the book. It's definitely one of my favorites. It really makes you analyze relationships.

What I found so saddening about the story is that the girl had to pay so much for Binny's happiness. I wonder if she still would have helped Binny if knew she wasn't going to get anything in return?

I like to think so.

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:28 am

Over the past couple of weeks I've left my copy of Flight lying around the house for perusing whenever I get the urge. As a result, plenty of visitors are becoming intrigued by it. I've had to pull out the other volumes on a number of occasions (mainly because people want to see what happened to Rex in the previous chapters :) ).

There really is nothing else quite like Flight. Everybody who picks it up tells me how different it is.

But being merely different is not enough. Flight is actually GOOD. So thanks, Kazu and everyone else, for making me seem much cooler to my house guests.
--Joe.

Ashwara

Post by Ashwara » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:39 am

Yeah, those interperetations make sense. That's the price I pay for reading a story only once, ha ha. But I havn't had flight that long and ususally I wait a bit before I read stuff over again.

I have looked through it a number of times for artistic reasons though

Scruffy

Post by Scruffy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:55 pm

This thread makes me want to read the book again (for the third or fourth time). I rather thought they were all pretty wonderful, but the ones that stand out in my mind are:

The ongoing Rex story (always a pleasure to find out what happens next and I LOVE the way you rendered the waves when the tree's being pulled).

...and Hope for the Best - wonderful and funny. LOVE the kids with the flippers.

The Storm - I just love the way the layouts and palettes tell the story as much as the actual pictures. Excellent use of color to strengthen the story.

Bigwheels - heh, the art alone makes me smile.

To Grandma's - I'll read anything drawn by Clio. Wonderful and expressive. One of my favorites ro re-read.

Like I said, they were all very well done, but those are the ones that stand out for me. I get the most out of the art itself, I think, and tend to be drawn to clear, expressive visuals, tending toward the more animation-inspired drawing. Which is kind of odd to me seeing as how that doesn't really show up in my own work.

Anyway, well done all round! And thanks to everyone who sketched in my book at SDCC :)

-Allen

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:04 am

I got my Flight 4 today!! :D So excited to read it. Also got my Daisy Kutter and two new animation boks (The Illution of Life Disney Animation by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johston and The Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams). Good day, very good day. :)

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:30 pm

Saw Flight 4 at the Bandi and Luni's bookstore, in Seoul, South Korea.. yesterday.