Flight 4 is out today!!!

General Discussion
Og

Post by Og » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:11 am

I hear ya. I had a similar reaction at first.

I bought the book on reflex without even looking through it. Upon opening it and leafing through, I was initially put off, and regretted that I hadn't at least looked through it. There seemed to be an air of fun missing from this volume compared with earlier ones. I am assuming this is because some of the lighter stories have been pulled out of this volume and are slated for Flight Explorer in early 08, but I don't know.

However, upon sitting down and reading through it, I have found that a good portion of the stories in this volume are deeper than the ones in earlier volumes, so even though I missed a shot of Doug Tennapel (for instance), what I feel I got from the stories I liked was a deeper appreciation and more involving story. And fantastic art, it goes without saying.

So even though at first I was put off and disappointed, I think by the time I finished with it, it might have actually wound up being my favorite. Either this one or #3.

Not trying to change your mind, Cameron, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent blokes. Just saying how it was for me.
ImageImage

Michel Gagne

Post by Michel Gagne » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:13 pm

I only liked half the stories! The rest either made no sense to me, were boring, or actually induced distaste.
Wow, that's pretty harsh. :(

CameronCN

Post by CameronCN » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:26 pm

Michel Gagne wrote:
I only liked half the stories! The rest either made no sense to me, were boring, or actually induced distaste.
Wow, that's pretty harsh. :(
I know. It hurt to say it. But I do think the honesty can be therapeutic.

I liked yours, though. :D

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more discussion...
But then, everyone's off reading You-Know-What. :lol:

neil

Post by neil » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:16 pm

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more discussion...
If you want a discussion, you should start one, perhaps by picking something specific and posing a question or a thought about it. (A simple statement of whether you like or don't like a book--or just listing what you liked--without any reasoning for how you came to that opinion, doesn't give anyone much to think about.)

We don't get provocative criticism of the book here, or anywhere else I know of, really. But I'm sure that it would be appreciated, because we constructively criticize each other all the time. It's a discussion board; it doesn't have to be a fan club. :D

Og, I'm glad it grew on you.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:25 pm

Man, I love feedback, positive or negative. I'd love to hear any crits if people want to discuss the book (though due to the nature of how this book is created, it's hard for any one of us to control its outcome).

I actually knew going into the release of Flight 4 that it would get a mixed reaction, especially from readers who came to expect Flight to be one of the few venues for adventure stories. This volume tended to have slightly more literary stories with a serious tone and a slower pace, and I do like it for that. Like Steve, I found that the book grew on me over time, and it's the one I've re-read the most times.

Cameron > As Neil said, if it is a discussion you're looking for, then it would be better to begin by presenting an analysis, because everyone's entitled to like or dislike something, and we're cool with that. The commentator's search to find out why is where the discussions begin.

CameronCN

Post by CameronCN » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:25 pm

Well, I don't really want to be the negative person here, so I wasn't really going to get to into the details. :?
Besides, my relative dislike is mostly a matter of taste. It's not really something that's very analyzable. The stories are all good, just I don't like some of them. :)
With those caveats noted, I still will try and figure out what I think and post it here when I have time. 8)

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:08 am

Picked up my copy the other day and I really enjoyed it. I got a lot out of this volume and enjoyed it more than Volume Three (which left me a little underwhelmed I must say)

Kazu, I have to say that your story and cover where the driving force behind my excitement in getting my hands on a copy. The few preview pages of 'The Window Makers' got my curiosity bubbling and I just had to see the rest of it. The subtleties in you colour work make me drool and your storytelling has a real mature wisdom to it. I found parts of the story referencing my life at the moment and it really spoke to me. I can't wait for 'Amulet'

For me this Volume has the lowest 'story-skip' ratio than previous ones. I'm now in love with Sarah Mensinga and Scott C. and while I've always been a fan of Michel Gagne's work, this Rex story left me breathless. This is the book I'll be referencing when I want to improve my colouring.

So well done guys!! Thanks for the inspiration.
ImageImage

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:47 am

Well, I will first say congratulations to Sarah, I think with the possible exception (and I am not sure if I have heard more from one story or the other) of Kazu's story I have seen the most comments about her story.

I am doing a slightly slower reread (I find more stories in this issue need to be read at a slightly slower pace than what you might have considered lighter fare in the past) here but so far my favorite stories are:

J.P. Ahonen's
Sarah Mensinga's
and Kazu's

J.P. and his story really got me to (as a writer who does not draw) to try and think more visual for stories. Great storytelling, and a nice heart-tug at the end. Sarah's story really just worked in every way for me, and it has been a while since I have seen a time travel story (outside Doctor Who) that really worked well for me. I didn't see the twist coming though I can't figure out why, which I think is credit to the storytelling skills. Kazu's story really caught me with its meaning--which others have already mentioned.

CameronCN

Post by CameronCN » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:47 pm

The more I think about it the more it seems to me to be a matter of personal taste. Since Flight is an anthology, after all, it has a wide range of different things, which appeal to different people. Volume 4 simply happened to have a slightly different mix of tastes or whatever. There weren't as many stories I liked as usual, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were plenty of people who thought the opposite. I don't know why the mix would be different--maybe because the lighter stories got shifted to Explorer? Because some of my favorite artists weren't in this issue? Because I'm wierd? (Am not.)
Anyway, my point is, there's nothing wrong with the anthology or anything. Nor is there anything wrong with the way it's made. No doubt I will think 5 is the greatest of them all. (I have noticed that I seem to prefer the odd-numbered ones. Maybe that will be a pattern.)
This Ozy and Millie strip sort of sums it up:

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:18 am

I ordered it today, but Amazon is not shipping it until somewhere between september 5.-19. :/
I'm really looking forward to this one, a few of my favourite artists are new in this one, which I'm particulary happy about. :) With the previous books I had to let some of the stories grow on me aswell, and I expect no less from this one, but thats fine. :) I also know that in a few years from now when I read the book again, I will probably love all the stories I didnt love that much now, etc. Anyway - I'll let you know what I think once I get it. (:

Dresden Codak

Post by Dresden Codak » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:12 am

So I read Flight 4, guys. It was exceptional, likely the best volume yet. I'd agree with others' comments that this one has a different tone, but it's a good shift. The stories seemed to have a bit more emotional weight, and some were decidedly melancholy. My criticisms in the past usually dealt with the fact that some of the previous stories were too light and really didn't challenge the reader beyond the visual aspect. Flight 4 has, by contrast, really struck a nice balance between the whimsical imagination of prior volumes and a more sophisticated literary content.

Well done, Peter Pan. Well done.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:11 am

As a fellow cartoonist, I'm kind of hesitant to openly criticize or say anything bad about people who I'd consider peers. I will say the stories I enjoyed the most out of many were by Amy, Kazu, Raina.

There's one story I felt I needed clarification on, however. Can someone explain Clio's story to me and what kind of relationship is being explored in this one?

CameronCN

Post by CameronCN » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:29 am

gau dog wrote:There's one story I felt I needed clarification on, however. Can someone explain Clio's story to me and what kind of relationship is being explored in this one?
Ah, yes, that's a favorite of mine. In a nutshell: they are two friends who have been working together for while. The girl evidently has a case of arrested development; whether for real-life reasons or because characters in fairy tales never grow up is for yourself to decide. (By the way she talks, she's obviously much older than she looks. Though she still doesn't like guacamole.) Anyway, their job is to act out the story of Little Red Riding Hood every evening when the parents read bedtime stories...
At least, that's how I see it. Does that help?

Clio

Post by Clio » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:11 am

CameronCN wrote:The girl evidently has a case of arrested development; whether for real-life reasons or because characters in fairy tales never grow up is for yourself to decide. (By the way she talks, she's obviously much older than she looks. Though she still doesn't like guacamole.) Anyway, their job is to act out the story of Little Red Riding Hood every evening when the parents read bedtime stories...
Hey, that's good!

You know how some kids want to grow up faster but are secretly hesitant about it? That's where the girl is at. She craves change but at the same time is too stuck and comfortable with where she is to actually carry that out. So, she complains about it a lot instead.
- Clio

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:51 am

Yeah, I think that helps. They're actors on a movie set, right? Even though I know that now after I've read it through, on my first reading I was kind of confused because there was no setup of them being actors talking about roles in the beginning. So I was never quite sure about what they were talking about or referring to. Actually, in the beginning I kind of felt like I was lead to believe I was reading about some sort of underage relationship. But when I find out, I'm wondering why you wrote it that way. If it was for a surprising reveal, it was skillfully done. I just can't decide if it helps or harms the story.

The art's really wonderful, Clio. I really like your Disneyesque style with some hints of anime influence.