Inking Survey

General Discussion
Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:29 pm

Adobe Illustrator

I'd like to branch out, but I find it's nice for quickly correcting mistakes...which I make.

smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:03 am

A combination of Staedtler Mars Graphic 3000 duo pen and a variety of smaller Microns. The brush end of the Staedtler took a while to get used to, but it makes a good black and a cool variety of strokes.

Og

Post by Og » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:13 am

Faber-Castell PITT Artist Pens. India black, a variety of sizes for a variety of uses, and the true successor to the Alvin Penstix line. Also, a SUMI Brush Pen for my fattest lines.
ImageImage

Frank Stockton

ink

Post by Frank Stockton » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:58 am

I use Sennelier india ink--by far my favorite. I bought a HUGE bottle at NY Central Art Supply and saved an ass load of money.

I ink with hunt imperial 101 nibs, and a variety of different sable brushes for certain details, and for large areas of black. :)

I used to use rapidographs for outlining stuff and for lettering but haven't had to do that in a while.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:46 am

I use a .005 and .01 micron pen for my work on From Death Til Now (my webcomic), sharpies for big black areas and a brush pen for looser lines when neccessary. I like the versatility of smaller microns. But then again that may be because I work at a rediculously small size... I dunno

tpiro

Post by tpiro » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:56 pm

I use the hunt no. 103. I don't hear of people using this nib often, but it's great because of the variety of line widths it can produce.

For ink I use speedball super black india ink. I've tried the higgins black magic, and it never seems dark enough. Has anyone else had this experience?

Ashwara

Post by Ashwara » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:17 am

I just use any decent watercolour/sable brush. I switch sizes based on how thick I want the lines. For the ink I use any waterproof indian ink.

I used to use microns, but once I switched to brushes I never went back, ha ha.

kyubikitsy

Post by kyubikitsy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:19 pm

I use the Tachikawa School pens to do most of my inking. I also use a bunch of Rapidoliners, Deleter Neo-Pikos II, and Copic Multiliners for finer lines~

-kitsy

KevinR

Post by KevinR » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:14 pm

Windsor & Newton series7 #1 brush and Higgins Waterproof Black India ink. For the first 59 or so pages of my comic I used to be all digital, pencils and inks done in Corel's Painter. I've since gone back to traditional methods and LOVING it, brush inking is the best.

-Kev

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:23 am

I use a Speedball nib. I think it's C1. I use a crowquill for smaller stuff. I letter with Rotring Artpens- Bold and Fine. These are the same ones Stan Sakai uses for Usagi Yojimbo! I love these pens. I've just started using Microns for smaller stuff. But, has anyone else noticed, if you erase after using them it makes the Micron lines real light?

I've started erasing first, then doing the Micron work.

tpiro

Post by tpiro » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Andrew- Yeah, I don't like Microns for the same reason you mention. I've switched to Copics, which are a little pricer. But these still sometimes have erasing problems depending on the type of paper and eraser.

Has anyone here found a better substitute?

-Tony

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:53 pm

Tony,

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try Copics.

kidnemo

Post by kidnemo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:57 am

Lately I've been inking everything digitally, so I suppose photoshop CS.

If not it's micron pens, though I tend to hold them with some crazy death grip and the sharp edge hurts my hand.
Image Image

Ashwara

Post by Ashwara » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:06 am

KevinR wrote:Windsor & Newton series7 #1 brush and Higgins Waterproof Black India ink. For the first 59 or so pages of my comic I used to be all digital, pencils and inks done in Corel's Painter. I've since gone back to traditional methods and LOVING it, brush inking is the best.

-Kev
Hey Kevin, do you have any trouble keeping your ink nice and black? I use a brush and Higgins Waterproof Indian ink as well, but for some reason a lot of the lines turn out kind of grayish. It might just be my technique.

Brush inking is awesome though.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:26 am

Maybe because I don't have nice brushes, I don't use brush much. I think my hands are too shaky. For some reason, using a pen it doesn't seem to bad.

On a different note, does anyone else suffer from what I call "Inker's Finger". This is when you dip the pen in the ink and a little ink hits the pen holder and next thing you know it's all over your finger. But you're too into the drawing so you just keep working and it smears it right in. Soo the middle finger of that hand is permanently stained black. Or is it just me?