Scanning Pages/Photomerge

General Discussion
briantaylor

Scanning Pages/Photomerge

Post by briantaylor » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi,

Anyone here care to share their proccess for scanning artwork into the computer? I seem to be having some trouble because of the size of my original art (11X17). I have to scan it in sections and there's always a gray bar on one end where the lighting was different due to the irregular page size (hope that makes sense). Are there any tricks I should be aware of? Also, has anyone here messed around with the Photomerge function in Photoshop? I haven't been able to get it to consistently work right for me, but if I could it would definitely speed things up.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Brian

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:38 am

Hey Brian,
I also work on a lot of 11x17 size paper and have a small scanner. The gray bar can be eliminated by cropping it off. If you need to, try scanning it in 3 segments so you get consistent lighting throughout, you can also adjust the levels of each segment until they match.
The gray bar from a shadow I'm assuming is due to a curve in the page like you're scanning a sketchbook? Try to make sure your material is completely flat to the scanner bed and that should eliminate any shadows.
Hope that helps

rey-o

Post by rey-o » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:08 am

Heya Brian,

In addition to LLL's advice - I would suggest when you are scanning in your images, include some overlap.

This means that a little bit of the image repeats itself in each of the seperate pieces. When you put them back to together, you'll be able to layer and cut your images so that there aren't any unsightly dark bands. Temporarily reducing the opacity in the above layer will help aligning things.

Which reminds me, alignment is the other tricky part about scanning in pieces.

I'd recommend including in the original artwork alignment marks, or straight lines, since it is difficult to consistently scan in straight images.

All you have to do then is use the measure tool in PS (found in the eyedropper box) to trace your straight line, then go to image> rotate canvas> arbitrary. You'll likely find that the image is not straight by a few degrees. Click OK, repeat the process for the separate pieces and now they should align better (if not perfectly).

hope that helps:-)
cheers,
rey-o
www.rey-o.com

goRaina

Post by goRaina » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:41 pm

If you're just working in black and white, try scanning as bitmap or lineart (600 dpi or greater). There will be no graytones then, because it's only picking up solid black or white areas.

briantaylor

Post by briantaylor » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:53 am

Thanks for the tips guys! Very helpful :)

-Brian