Kochalka's "Cute Manifesto"

General Discussion
blahs

Kochalka's "Cute Manifesto"

Post by blahs » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:04 am

Has there been any discussion about this? how did this go over with the Flight crew (get it?!)?

here's the wiki for those who haven't: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cute_Manifesto

Frank Stockton

hello kochalka hello cute manifesto

Post by Frank Stockton » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:31 pm

Hey,

I don't know if there's been a discussion about it. It's pretty much just his philosophy on art--I found myself agreeing with about 90% of what was in it, and assuming that the next 10% was coming from a place I haven't reached yet.

I truly, truly think it's a brilliant book and highly reccommend it to people who want to expand their creative horizons.

Thumbs up!

frank
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

neil

Post by neil » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:36 am

There's not much to read at the Wikipedia stub, and I don't have this book--would anyone care to paraphrase Kochalka?

andrew fulton

Post by andrew fulton » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:51 pm

There's the cute manifesto the comicessay itself, and the cute manifesto the collection of Kochalka's various other comic essays, including the craft is the enemy thing, not sure which we are talking about here.
I seem to remember reading the essay a long time ago, but none of the details have really stuck. from a review on moviepoopshoot:
It’s Kochalka’s philosophy boiled down to its essence—to embrace life in all its beauty and retain his innocence in spite of everything. Kochalka’s recent fatherhood has given strength and resolve to sentiments sometimes cloyingly presented in his previous fictions.
My impression of this board (and I haven't been floating around all that long) is that there is an interpretation of The Kochalka that fits okay, and some readings that probably wouldn't go down too well at all. There does seem to be a lot of time spent here thinking about aspects of craft and beautyso I would be intereseted to know what people here thought of the craft is enemy aspects go, but as far as the Cute Manifesto itself, I am all for cuteness as long as it doesn't get swallowed by irony, and isn't some kind of blinkered rejection of the 'real world'. or something.