Mike Mignola

General Discussion
Tony

Mike Mignola

Post by Tony » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:56 pm

When is this dude going to do another all-Mike story? I don't care what it's about, I just want to see a Mike Mignola story written and drawn by Mike Mignola. Is that too much to ask?

R'John

Post by R'John » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:36 pm

Sorry about this,I'm kind of going off topic,but what do you feel about his style getting simpler and simpler as time goes on?

I love the way he drew the conquering worm(unbelievable stuff),but his last efforts (third wish,the island)have left me wanting better stuff from him. It's just too simplified for me. Just my opinion.

If he does come out with new stuff,I will definitely check it out though,I mean,he is Mike Mignola...I'm still a fan.

Tony

Post by Tony » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:51 pm

I... like it? I've noticed the newer books have been *slightly* more simplistic, but the thing I like about Mignola is the mood and composition and "timing", which is consistently strong. And the colour (Dave Stewart, right?) is always excellent.

I'm just a little disappointed seeing the books featuring artists who seem to have a similar style to Mignola's. I have a suspicion that someone at the publisher has suggested that "we need more Hellboy books" and that they need to LOOK like Mike's work in order to sell. Myself, I'd much prefer if these books featured artists using original, personal styles.

But then I also think Hellboy looks best drawn in a graphic style. When he's drawn "fuller" or with depth and roundness, he looks a little weird. :p

rey-o

mignoloa style

Post by rey-o » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:21 pm

hi tony - if you haven't already, check out the one off issue he did called 'the amazing screw on head' in a way i might like it more than hellboy because its just blatantly strange.

regarding his style, i like the evolution and refinements it has gone through over the years. the simplified, graphic look helps in communicating the mood and atmosphere better imo, than something that is overtly detailed (the mcfarlane or jim lee school of comics art).

i guess mignola is too busy working on movies and such these days? he's also been with hellboy for much of his personal career, i can't blame him for wanting to take a little breather.
cheers,
rey-o
www.rey-o.com

Tony

Post by Tony » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:26 pm

Yeah dude, Screw-On Head is fantastic. More stories in that vein would be awesome.

In the foreward to one of the collected volumes... I'm not sure which one or who said it, but he was commenting on the use of blacks, and suggestive shapes, so that the reader becomes involved in filling in the details. Gotta say, I find that so appealing.

chuckbb

Post by chuckbb » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:57 pm

R'John wrote:Sorry about this,I'm kind of going off topic,but what do you feel about his style getting simpler and simpler as time goes on?

actually i think his style and storytelling technique is getting Much much much more perfected. I think he's at this point where he is really getting strong results and mastering a form of storytelling.
http://www.CHUCKBB.com

Will trade art for Ulver LPs

aimee

Post by aimee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:19 pm

there was a somewhat recent interview with him... I think maybe it was on newsrama? I cant remember *_*...
but basically he said that he really really wants to tell stories, and that he feels that he is very OCD with his art.
So basically that equals him feeling better about getting other artists who he respects to illustrate his stories so that he can keep telling them without getting bogged down in being self-critical about his artwork. So who knows when/if we'll see another all Mignola story.
I understand where he's coming from, but man, it's a shame. I really adore his use of flat blacks, space and layout. I'm feeling very deprived.