New to the FLIGHT forums? Introduce yourself in this thread!

General Discussion
dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:38 pm

Hello, I'm Shane/dark77778 and I've been stricken with the condition of having an overactive imagination. If left untreated, the results could be deadly via symptoms of nonsensical ranting, followed by head explosion. I try to keep my condition under control by means of making music, writing, playing video games and drawing the occasional horrible doodle. These days my doodles are staring the ever lovable and philosophical Zen Zombie.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

jamdye

intro

Post by jamdye » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:53 pm

Hello Hotel Adriano,
While trying to register on these forums I discovered I already made an account 3 years ago and forgot about it. But I've returned! I really love the Flight anthologies. I'm an illustrator/animator, in the past I've worked retail in comics, I've been printing and selling my comics at APE for years and I recently started a webcomic! I'm one month away from receiving my animation degree aaand... then the future.

Shameless plug, my comic is updated every tuesday!

Cheers!

Jamaica

ggfair

Post by ggfair » Mon May 05, 2008 1:43 pm

:D I am new here and I like the tutorial very much about Copper.
I love to draw and enjoy talking to cartoonists and artists who draw comic strips and cartoons and book illustration and graphic art comic books.
I am a cartoonist.
from,
Miss G.G. Faircloth

JGrubber

Introduction and apologies for mislocating my previous post!

Post by JGrubber » Sat May 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Sorry to the locals- such a newbie mistake- I think I was just so excited to find an online community that I went kind of loopy

Hi folks,

I am new here, having only really started to take serious interest in my drawing as a way to improve my teaching and keep myself sane.

I have a bit of art background, but currently work as a teacher/researcher. My game plan is to create comics based on Canadian History, to help my teaching, and that of my colleagues, because kids just don't seem to interested in Canadian history in general, and many teachers can't liven it up.

For topic matter, my inspiration was Larry Gonick's work Cartoon History of the Universe. Its problem is that it presumes a basic familiarity with history before you read. I want something for ages 10 and up. For style, Bill Watterson, Jeff Smith and Walt Kelly.

I have posted smaples in a flickr gallery

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 976509289/

I would truly appreciate constructive feedback and input on them, if people have time..

My Process:

1. Lots of reading.
2. Pencil sketches (very rough layouts/figures) on copier paper/clipboard
3. I use rough watercolour paper (Hot press? I think) and a lightbox for a finished image.
4. Inking- Speedball India ink and brushes. I am trying to get more dip pens into it as well, based on some tips I have read.
5. Colour with watercolours (WN pan not liquids)
6. Scan
7. Adjust/crop etc.

1. Paper- I use watercolour paper, because I like drybrushing, but do people think things would improve with something else?

2. What is holding e back on colouring is that if do it by hand, I have to colour my original, and if I screw up, I have to re-draw/re-ink the whole thing. Ideally, I would like to be able to scan and print, then handcolour- can this be done? I tried it on cardstock, but the paper rippled a lot and teh result was unsatisfying, as you can see at the site.

4. Any general thoughts, tips or comments on the pics or the process?

b.patrick

Post by b.patrick » Sun May 11, 2008 7:39 pm

Hey,
My name's b. patrick and I work a soul-crushing job by day and fail at being a cartoonist by night. I went to Joe Kubert's back in the nineties and cannot help but make comics and so decided to share them online. I'd love it if you checked them out and if you wanted to tell me what you think that'd be outta sight.

ChevyRay

Post by ChevyRay » Tue May 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Oi. Chev's the name.

I'm what some would consider a jack of all trades, and others a master of none. I spend my free time reading truckloads of literature, and was only recently (by some standards) introduced to the godly world of graphic novels.

After reading (several times) Neil Gaiman's American Gods, I discovered that his rise to fame was due to a series of graphic novels he wrote (that I'm sure you've all heard of) called Sandman. After tearing through those, I proceeded to rent, buy, and scour through all the graphic novels in the store that I work in (Chapters-Indigo).

Never hearing about Jeff Smith's Bone before, I was actually drawn to the full non-color edition by its sheer size and (believe it or not) impulse bought it for $50 Canadian bucks.

Best $50 I ever gambled. After reading THAT about 7 times, the internet told me that Bone inspired a man named Kazu Kabuishi to put together a lovely little book called Flight... blah blah blah you all know the rest.

As of now, I am aspiring to write two (and only two, if it takes me my whole life) graphic novels. Whether I will illustrate them myself or not depends on whether I find a talented and willing partner-illustrator who will read and likes my storyboards or whether I find the time and patience to become one myself. My two stories are called Mac's Pangaea and 52 Galoo. Fingers crossed they will hit the shelves one day.

And... here I am. God's be praised, and cheers to you all!

~Chevy

EDIT: Oh, and my favorite band is World/Inferno Friendship Society, naturally.
Last edited by ChevyRay on Tue May 20, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:11 pm

Hahahaha, yeah that giant Bone volume is quite hard to resist buying isn't it?

ChevyRay

Post by ChevyRay » Tue May 20, 2008 6:14 pm

dark77778 wrote:Hahahaha, yeah that giant Bone volume is quite hard to resist buying isn't it?
I didn't even try :D

I hadn't even heard about Bone at the time, it just looked way too intense to pass up. I'll buy me all the color versions when they are all finished as well, just to look at 'em.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:20 pm

Well I wanted to read all of Bone for a while, and it was just sitting there in all of its glory. ^^; To tell the truth it wasn't what I was expecting, but there are times when it keeps me on a roll and I can't put it down, and others that make it feel like a Saturday morning comic strip, which makes certain things feel a little choppy, but it's certainly quality artwork and storyline besides those minor distracting lapses in flow. I think I might take a look at the color versions in the public library, just because I have to save up some money now for second year.

ChevyRay

Post by ChevyRay » Tue May 20, 2008 6:28 pm

besides those minor distracting lapses in flow
Yeah, but you can hardly blame the guy, considering it took him 10 years :P It's fairly difficult to maintain a vision for that long.

Most recent graphic read is Alan Moore's V for Vendetta.

juan

Argh..hi?

Post by juan » Fri May 23, 2008 7:33 pm

Overenthusiastic, that's me to a fault... i posted first on the illustration thread with a self portrait of sorts...

Name's Juan, i live in Colombia, South America, and i have loved comics all my life.... I work doing 3d for broadcast commercials, and have just recently taken drawing up again.

Flight reminded me of how much awesome fun drawing comics was, and it actually inspired me to take up pen and paper again. (So thanks, guys, all of you)
Site, Sorta
www.ochoaart.com

TeamSmithy

Post by TeamSmithy » Sun May 25, 2008 8:58 am

Hi, I'm a long time admirer of the Flight books and thought I'd finally join up to show some of my comics.

That's pretty much all, I'm not a very intersting guy.
A blog and a deviant art gallery, together they fight crime.

Tyson

Post by Tyson » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:24 pm

Hi, I just picked up Flight vol. 1 and 2 and became a huge fan. I look forward to owning the rest of the series.

I'm studying animation and am majoring in cinema at the moment and I love to learn from listening to artists. I'm really excited to join this forum.

cecil

Post by cecil » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:03 pm

in my town we have a dog park, and whenever i take my dog there i am given hugs by a great dane named tyson. he is over half my height. i am 6'2". it is insane.

Vear

Haldo!

Post by Vear » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:17 pm

Hallo, I am Christopher Vear, I'm an illustrator/animator/designer etcetera... I've been visiting the forums for a little while now, but didn't join until recently. I've also been a fan of the anthology for years... if anyone would like to see my work I have an

artblog here
and a
website here

Thanks!