Random Art/Relationship Question

General Discussion
briantaylor

Random Art/Relationship Question

Post by briantaylor » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:33 pm

So I have a totally random question here regarding relationships...

As comic artists, do you feel it's important that your significant other (girlfriend/wife) be a fellow artist or creative person and share that passion with you in some way? Or is it enough for you just to know that they simply tolerate and/or accept what you do?

Just curious. I know this is a potentially -weird- subject to bring up in this forum. I just ask because I'm currently in a relationship with a girl I really like, but who isn't into many of the same things I'm into, including art. I guess I'm just wondering if similar interests are all that important in a long term relationship.

Wow, seeking relationship advice on a comics forum. I must REALLY be tired. :shock:

dontreply

Post by dontreply » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:42 am

Honestly, I don't think it matters if your girlfriend or whatever is into the same creative outlets as you as long as they're supportive of what you do. Having someone that's supportive helps out alot.

Dresden Codak

Post by Dresden Codak » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:46 am

I think it's a little creepy when anyone shares all of the same interests you have. It's not necessary or wise to look for a mental clone when it comes to your interests. The important thing is that he or she understands and respects what you're interested in and supports your endeavors. Relationships are ultimately about getting along and finding different personality types that complement each other.

On the other hand, though, if he or she doesn't share in at least some of your interests, you might want to keep looking.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:55 pm

That's a pretty loaded question. I think when I was single and even in the beginning of my relationship with the woman who is now my wife, I felt that it was imperative that she like and appreciate all of the same things I do. Strangely enough I've learned how single minded that is and could have ruined the best thing in my life. My wife and I were almost complete opposites when we started dating. We had a few things that we both really enjoyed but ultimately we were not much a like at all. Over the course of the four years we've been together, and especially the two since we've been married, we've become so much alike. Things she had no interest in she now does, and vice versa. However she has always believed in my goals and dreams when it comes to art. She's been my biggest supporter and patron. You need that, because being an artist is hard enough, having your signifcant other not believe in it, is the death blow. What I'm getting at is, a balance isn't such a bad thing if there is that real spark between two people and the mutual repsect and encouragement that comes with it.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:25 pm

My wife doesnt "get" everything i'm into. We get along great...we even argue over the dumbest things and get hurt by it because we love each other so much. We have common interests even though she's not into animation and any scifi flick that comes along. But we do find common interests. She is supportive and doesnt bash my interests and I support hers...

I dont really think the person youre involved with, whether they are creative or not should make a difference. If you are worried about that, then you need to get away for a bit and really think whether you like this girl or not and if you can stand to live without her. Does she support you or tear you down? does she brag about you to friends and family?... you need to think about these things.

Really, it just sounds like you are haveing doubts.
Chad Townsend

briantaylor

Post by briantaylor » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:26 am

Yeah, I think the biggest thing for me is that the person I'm with can support and understand what I do and won't die of boredom if I talk about it.

I guess in the past I've thought that the key was to be with some girl who shared my same passions or interests. But after meeting this girl I'm currently dating, I'm realizing that this isn't the case. I think I'm realizing now that interests aren't as important as how you feel about the person and how well you get along.

I think I was just curious to see if this was the case with other "creative people/comic artists" out there and to hear your views on it, so that I could make sure I wasn't alone in thinking this.

Biev

Post by Biev » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:29 pm

I've found that love and work doesn't mix well in my case. I've dated three artists, and each relationship was a disaster. I idealized them so much, I kept putting myself down in comparison. They could be quite harsh sometimes and made me feel lower than dirt. I became desperate to get their approval... it was terribly unhealthy.

Og

Post by Og » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:57 am

I'm in an opposites-attract relationship. She's a lawyer, I'm an artist. She's an ex-model, and I'm... well, I'm me. We've been married almost 20 years now, and it's worked well. Occasionally I see a couple of artists together like Kazu and Amy, and I think that would have been nice. I can't imagine how amazing it would be to both draw, to both enjoy the same comics, etc. That seems like such a sweet thing. Perhaps that is something you are thinking about as well.

The funny thing, though - when we had kids 12 years ago, my wife stopped working outside the home to raise the kids. In the past few years, she has begun designing jewelry, designing and making stained glass, and even teaching classes. She's got a better color eye than I do, and I think, may be more creative than me.

Meanwhile, I have begun getting better versed in law and contracts as the deals I'm involved with have gotten more complicated, and I've begun writing a lot (so much so that I'm writing a novel currently).

Long winded way to say, I've loved her from the start, and even though we've shared common interests from the beginning, and had huge differences from the beginning, we have over time grown together. That's been a very fun process and is very sweet as well.

I think there are many ways to work it, but you gotta have common ground and mutual respect for each other's interests, even if she's not into Battlestar Galactica and you aren't ape over Bridget Jones' Diary. :)
ImageImage